The Best Red Lipsticks


I love a good red lip paired with a simple eye look, which has compulsory winged eyeliner! But I struggled to find the perfect red shades and the perfect formula - I'm not a fan of pink anything (goth at heart!) so I wanted a blue / purple based red that doesn't lean pink at all, and I wanted a red lipstick that didn't transfer onto my teeth and lasted all night. It was a struggle, but I have found a few formulas and shades that I love along the way, so I thought I'd share them all with you.


(The above swatches are in the order listed below, starting with Maybelline Matte Ink and ending in Sleek Matte Lip Cream) 



Maybelline Superstay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick - 20 Visionary - £9.99

If you haven't already tried these.. you need them in your life. I currently have 5 shades of this liquid lipstick because I LOVE the formula. These have lasting power that beats any other liquid lipstick I've tried. I actually bought the red shade first (20 Visionary) and tried it whilst I dyed my hair, had a shower, washed my face, drank wine and smoked a cigarette (this was a while back when I was still a smoker!) and this stayed on FLAWLESSLY! It didn't transfer onto the wine glass and it looked flawless still when I got out the shower. The issue with this, is getting it off again! The W7 Lip Colour Remover works well, but otherwise, you may have to use micellar water, lip scrub and anything you can think of to try to take it off. After you've got most of it off, it does stain your lips pink, but it is worth it if you want a bold, red lip to last all day / night! This shade is my perfect red shade too, dark red with a purple hint. These are super pigmented, not too drying and they have a strong scent of vanilla / caramel.



Morphe Liquid Lipstick - Morphe - £12.00

This is probably my second favourite formula and one of my absolute favourite shades of red. It has a very liquidy formula, so is easy to apply and it has a lovely sweet scent. This one does feel like a liquid lipstick, unlike the NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream for example, that feels more like a mousse. The scent does fade once applied so if you don't like sweet scented lipsticks, I wouldn't be too worried. The shade 'Morphe' is a deep red with blue undertones and it dries fully matte, without feeling sticky or drying. This liquid lipstick is very pigmented and you don't need to layer it up to cover your lips. Once dry, this is completely transfer proof and it is long lasting, but I wouldn't say it as long-wearing as the Maybelline Matte Inks. Overall, I would really recommend this, especially for this beautiful red shade.



NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream - Monte Carlo - £6.00

I think most people by now have tried the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams - these come in a huge variety of shades and they have a lovely formula. These don't last as long as other liquid lipsticks, so you may have to reapply or it's fine if you only need it on for a short time. This formula is moussey and glides on your lips, they have a nice sweet scent and don't look or feel drying on the lips. Once applied, the Soft Matte Lip Creams look matte but they don't feel matte and they do transfer. I have a few shades of these and I would definitely recommend them to anyone who doesn't like the usual liquid lipstick formula because they find them too drying. This doesn't actually swatch as nicely as it looks on the lips, as it is a moussey formula. On the lips, it is a beautiful deep red shade. 



Soap & Glory Sexy Mother Pucker Matte 3D Lip Colour - Ember Red - £2.00

I'm sure this wasn't £2.00 when I purchased it, so I'm not sure whether it is being discontinued, but it is currently still for sale in Boots and online. This is a lip crayon, which is super quick and easy to apply. It has a very creamy formula, which feels very comfortable on the lips. It does dry down matte but it doesn't look or feel dry. It is very pigmented and this shade is a true bright red. This crayon has no scent to it, so is perfect for those who don't like scented products. As it isn't a liquid lipstick, it transfers as much as a standard matte lipstick does and it isn't as long lasting as liquid lipsticks, but if you're not a fan of liquid lipsticks, this is a good alternative.



Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick - Alarm - £4.99

Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipsticks have been around for years and they are one of my favourite formulas for the usual stick lipsticks, as opposed to liquid lipsticks. They feel moisturising and creamy on the lips, apply nicely and have the signature Rimmel lipstick scent (which is quite sweet but not overpowering). They are pigmented and apply evenly, but as it's not a liquid lipstick, they don't have the same lasting power as other alternatives and they do transfer. The shade 'Alarm' is another bright red shade.



Sleek Matte Me Lip Cream - Rioja Red - £4.99

I purchased this lip cream as part of a set, so the product photographed is a mini version and a full sized version is available for £4.99. This lip cream doesn't really have a scent and has a thin liquid formula. It takes a few minutes to dry down matte, but once is has dried down, it is transfer proof and has good lasting power - again, not quite as long lasting as the Maybelline Matte Inks but I don't think anything compares to that in terms of longevity! This shade is a pigmented, very bright red with an orange undertone, which I think is a great summery colour if you like bright shades! It doesn't feel drying on the lips or sticky, so for that reason, I would recommend this lipstick.

Let me know what red lipsticks you love in the comments section be!


Sarah (aka. Pale Princess) x

Comments