Why Two Dalmatians Are Better Than One


On the many ‘Dalmatian Owner’ groups I am part of on Facebook, I often see people asking if it’s a good idea to get a second dalmatian, or if two is easier than one. Obviously, two Dalmatians means double the cost for food, insurance, toys, treats, beds etc, but to me, it is 1000% worth it. My younger dalmatian is 3 years old now and I got her as a 7 week old puppy. When Mia was around 6 months old, she was so desperate for a playmate, that we decided to rescue Ruby, who is now 9 years old. From day one, they adored each other (please note, this does not always happen and sometimes it can be difficult to introduce a second dog into the family).

So this is what you can expect if you decide to take the plunge and get a second dalmatian.


1) They can play together
So when we rescued Ruby, we were actually told that she was 2 years old, so we thought she would be the perfect match for Mia (6 months old at the time). We later found out she was actually 6 years old, but she still acts like a puppy. She used to play with Mia constantly, everyday, and was very tolerant of her, but as she has got older, she plays less. However, if they are waiting to go on a walk and have lots of energy, they often play tug of war, they run about on their walks together and mouth at each other. This tires each other out and they have loads of fun while you can just sit back and watch! Perfect situation.


2) Both dogs get to celebrate 2 birthdays a year 
Okay so not everyone celebrates their dog’s birthday, but I feel everyone should. My dogs get a special bone / treat, chicken, carrots and doggy gravy for dinner and a new toy on their birthdays. But of course, it wouldn’t be fair to only give one dog the extra presents / special dinner, so they both get to celebrate two birthdays a year.


3) They can learn from each other
Obviously, I got Ruby when Mia was young, so it was likely that Mia would learn from and copy Ruby. Luckily for me, Ruby came to us as a very obedient dog with very few flaws, so as a whole, this was a positive thing. One memory that sticks in my mind is that Mia used to whine horrendously if she was left in the car and one person got out, even if there was still someone sat in the car with her. However, the first time we took Ruby out in the car with us, my ex-husband got out the car, Mia whined once then looked at Ruby, who was sat patiently waiting for him to return and watching the shop door that he went into. You could see the cogs turning in Mia's brain and she decided to copy her. She never whined after that.



4) They cuddle up adorably 
The number of photos I have on my phone of my two girls cuddled up together sleeping is unreal, but it never gets boring - (maybe to everyone else but I could look at photos of my girls cuddled up together every minute of the day). They also cuddle up together if they’re cold after a walk, so it’s functional as well as adorable! Although sometimes this isn't quite as comfortable for one of the dogs.. (usually Mia.)


5) When left alone they can keep each other company and provide comfort
I am lucky that my dogs have never suffered from separation anxiety when I leave them by themselves for 4-5 hours a day while I’m at work, but I know they take comfort in the fact they have each other. Ruby has been rehomed numerous times in her life and I feel like I know I can take her somewhere and go out if I need to, just as long as she has Mia with her, she knows I will come back for both of them!


6) Often, they team up against you and be naughty together
One of the funniest moments I remember from my dogs, was when my ex husband made an egg sandwich, cut it in half and walked across the kitchen to open the fridge door. In the time it took him to get a drink from the fridge, the dogs had jumped up at the side and taken half a sandwich each, run into the living room and eaten it. Now, Ruby is very food driven and she’s a clever dog, but Mia is not as fussed by food and she is a bit slow at times. There’s no way Mia would have acted quickly enough to take half the sandwich without him noticing unless Ruby telepathically told her to do it - maybe even giving Mia a count-down to the moment of snatching.  


7) If you lose one, you’ve got a back up
This might be a ridiculous one, but often when I’m walking the dogs, Ruby will disappear - running off into the woods following a scent. I’m left walking by myself, waiting for her to return, but Mia usually stays by my side, so I don’t look like a crazy person, walking with dog leads round my neck but no dog in sight. Also, if one of my dogs is misbehaving on a walk (e.g. not coming back when I call them), the other one is usually by my side so it looks like I am capable of training and owning at least one dog, even if the other is completely ignoring me.


8) Double the cuddles and kisses 
Anyone who knows or owns Dalmatians will agree that usually they are ‘velcro dogs’ who want to be glued to you, usually sitting on your lap and squashing their face against yours. With two dogs, you’ll realise both dogs want your full attention. Two hands is not enough. They want two hands each, and a face to lick.


9) They often protect and defend each other
Because Ruby is so much older than Mia, she has always been the ‘top dog’. If a male dog tries to hump Mia, Ruby will be straight in there to snap at the dog, telling it to get off her. She won’t hurt the male dog, she will just vocally warn it not to do that to her sister. Equally on a walk, if a dog snaps at Mia, Ruby will be straight over to check she’s okay and warn the other dog off. This is because Mia is a scaredy cat who doesn’t defend herself! So it’s nice to know she has Ruby looking out for her.


10) They make each other happy
This might sound ridiculous, but my two girls absolutely adore each other. Mia regularly will spend 10 minutes cleaning Ruby's teeth for her (by licking her mouth) and if she stops, Ruby will nuzzle her to ask her to continue. On a walk, Mia tends to stayed glued to Ruby and wherever she goes, Mia will go. They can drink out of their water bowl at the same time without any arguments and they react to each other - if one dog barks, the other will be straight by their side making sure everything is okay.


11) You get twice as much love
This one doesn’t really need explaining. Dalmatians are one of the most loving, affectionate, cuddly breeds of dog and with two of them, you get double the amount of love.


Sarah (aka. Pale Princess) x

Comments