Letters To My Dogs


To My Beautiful Ruby Doo,
   I really hope you know how loved you are. To me, love is not even a strong enough word to describe how I feel about you. You have had a really awful past before I rescued you - you have been beaten and neglected, but yet you are the most affectionate, loving and obedient dog, without a single 'bad' bone in your body. I cannot even begin to understand how anyone could hurt you. You have had many homes, but you are in your forever home now and will be with me for the rest of your life, no matter what.
I remember the first day I met you and I wasn't sure about you. You were a rescue, we didn't know what your breaking point was, we didn't know whether we could trust you. I remember the point where we bonded. We were on a dog walk and I got lost and stuck on a very steep slope. Mia disappeared and left me, you turned and came back for me. You looked at me and tried to show me a much less steep area I could get down and you wouldn't leave until I followed you. I trusted you in that moment and followed you, I managed to get down the slope and we found our way home. In that moment, I realised what a special dog you were.
You are such an appreciative dog - you appreciate that you are in a very loving home now and that I will do anything I can for you. I remember your 7th birthday - we hadn't known you for very long and we bought you a new comfy bed, a bone and a new toy. I told you to lie in your new bed and gave you your presents. The look on your face was pure appreciation and happiness.
Over the following months, I learnt that you do not have a breaking point. I knew I could trust you fully - I know I can soak your paw in anti-septic liquid when you have hurt yourself, I know it hurts you because I can see it in your eyes, but I know you will not react. I know when the vet is hurting you, trying to work out what is wrong, I can keep my face close to yours and you will not react. I know I can trust you with any small child - I've seen a toddler grab your tail and pull it hard and you didn't even flinch. In saying that, I know that I cannot trust you with a sandwich left on the kitchen side, but that makes you a cheeky chancer who thinks with their belly and I still love you just the same.
I remember the day we took you away from the horrible home you were in before us. We had known you for an hour, we were strangers to you. We walked you away from that house and you did not once look back. You came with us willingly and jumped straight into the car. You settled into our house after the 3 hour drive like you had lived there your whole life. I also remember the day you went for an X-Ray, with a vet you had known for over a year and were very fond of. He tried to walk you away from us and you refused to go, you looked back over your shoulder the whole time, not wanting to be taken away from us. I knew in that moment how bonded you were with us and how much you loved us.
You have an array of health problems and cost me a fortune, but no amount of money will ever be too much because I will do anything to keep you happy and healthy. You are one hell of an entertaining dog - when you show me your beautiful grin every single day, it makes me smile, no matter what I have going on in my life. When we play Queen songs for you and you sing your little heart out, you make everyone laugh.
When certain people look into your eyes, they see what I see - a dog who is filled with love, who just wants a cuddle and to feel safe. A very special dog, who understands every word you say. If I tell you not to wake mummy up early in the morning, you listen. When I tell you that you are the 'bestest dog in the whole wide world' I see from the look in your eyes that you understand. When I tell you not to worry when there are moving boxes all over the house, I see you relax.
It absolutely terrifies me that you are getting older. In a week, you will be 10 years old. My beautiful Dooba dog, I am so scared of losing you. I see it in your face that you are getting older, you still act like a puppy, you sprint around on walks and play with your younger sister, but I can see you getting tired. No-one ever believes your age, because you have a very young heart. Please, just keep going for as long as you can. Know that my heart will be shattered the day I lose you but I will be by your side when you take your last breath.
Thank you for being the most amazing dog in the world and for putting your trust and love in me.
Love, your forever Mummy xxx


To My Crazy Little Mia Moo,
   You are a crazy, one in a million dog. I mock you constantly for being a 'special needs dog' because you do not understand how the world works, all you know how to do is show love. I have known you since you were 5 weeks old, a little tiny pig-looking puppy. I have tried my absolute hardest in the past 3 and a half years of your life to give you the best life a puppy could want. You have been showered with toys, treats and love. I hope you know how lucky you are to have had a special home and to never have experienced neglect, and I want you to know that you never will.
I have so much love for you and I know you have so much love for everyone on the planet. Your determination to give every one in the world kisses just shows what a loving heart you have.
You are the cheekiest and most stubborn dog I have ever met. But just like your older sister, you are so entertaining. The way you grab people's arms when you want them to scratch your chest and you will not give up until they do. The way you have zoomies on a walk and fly around in circles as fast as your little legs will carry you. The way you sound like a baby dinosaur when you yawn and the sleeping positions you get yourself into.
I love your beautiful, natural eyeliner, I love the smell of your fur, I love your little baby smile that comes out when you are super excited, I love the way you cuddle when you are sleepy. I love how confused you look when we hide toys from you, showing you where we've put them and you still run around the room looking for them. I love how tolerant you are - you enjoy being picked up and worn as a scarf, you let me put you in silly outfits and you let your older sister sit on you and squash you on a daily basis and you still love her unconditionally. You are the definition of unconditional love.
I remember walking you when you were a small puppy and every single person we passed had to stop and tell you how beautiful you are - to the point that you thought your name was "beautiful". I also remember when you were around 6 months old and you were the most stubborn, naughty little puppy and I had no idea what to do with you. I look at you now and cannot believe how far you've come. I am so proud of you for the amazing little dog you are now - obedient but with a cheeky, naughty streak. You are independent (for a Dalmatian), adaptable, so good with children and so unbelievably affectionate and loving.
I know you are scared of the world Moo Moo and you don't usually understand what is going on, I know that cats terrify you, strange noises scare you because of your partial deafness, even your shadow terrifies you (literally). Just know that I will always protect you. I will always comfort you when you are scared and give you endless amounts of cuddles and reassurance. You are safe with me.
I promise you will always have a comfy bed to sleep on, you will always have treats, new toys, cuddles, chest scratches and my unconditional love. I may shout at you sometimes when you are being naughty, but I love you so much and you will always have the best home I can give you. You are my companion, my best friend and the most beautiful dog I have laid my eyes on.
You are the most beautiful little dog, with a puppy-like face even though you are nearly 4 years old. You are so healthy and happy and all I can hope for is that you live a very long, healthy and happy life, my little Moo Moo.
Love, your servant human xxx


Comments